- 1 Does the PAX 3 hold up in 2022?
- 2 Pax 3 Specs + Ratings
- 3 Review: What’s In The PAX 3 Box?
- 4 Review: How does the PAX 3 Work?
- 5 How to use the Pax 3?
- 6 Preset temperature control
- 7 Pax 3’s amazing application
- 8 PAX 3 App Customization: Session Modes
- 9 PAX 3 Vapor Quality Review
- 10 Pax 3 Microdosing made easy!
- 11 Is the Pax 3 good for dabs?
- 12 Pax 3 raised mouthpiece
- 13 PAX 3 Incredible Build Quality
- 14 Review: Is the PAX 3 Discreet?
- 15 Is the PAX 3 good for use in public?
- 16 PAX 3 Vaporizer Review: Amazing Battery Life
- 17 Pax 3 Charging Dock
- 18 Review: Who’s the PAX 3 for?
- 19 Pax 3 ABV Extraction
- 20 Pax 3 Tips and Tricks
- 21 Pax 3 Simon Says Mini-Game
- 22 Pax 3 vs. Zeus Arc GTS Hub
- 23 Pax 3 vs Pax 2 Review
- 24 PAX 3 PROS
- 25 PAX 3 CONS
- 26 How to clean the Pax 3 Vaporizer?
- 27 PAX 3 Vaporizer Review Conclusion
- 28 Pax 4 News
Does the PAX 3 hold up in 2022?
Despite being released in 2016, the PAX 3 has since grown to be the #1 sold dry herb vaporizer worldwide. This is for a reason! Its vapor quality, ease of use, chamber, and other key features remain very competitive in the cannabis vape market as it continues to sell well with the recent additions of the complete kit option, and separate concentrate chamber. In this Pax 3 Review, we’ll be going over modern vape comparisons, as well as why the PAX 3 has been relevant for over six years.
Pax 3 Specs + Ratings
|Material Compatibility||Dry Herb + Wax|
|Charge Time||1.5 Hours|
|Charging Port||Charging Dock|
|Battery Life||1.5 Hours|
|Heat-up Time||30 Seconds|
|Temperature control||Pre-sets + Application|
|Temperature Range||360°F-420°F / 182°C-216°C|
|Oven Size||0.4 grams|
|Vapor path way||Isolated Metal + Rubber|
|Accessories||Chamber inserts + Mouthpieces|
|Motion sensor||Shutoff timer, Battery indicator, Simon-Says Game|
|Warranty period||10 Years|
|Price||199 / 160 USD|
|Ease of Use||8/10|
|Ease of Cleaning||6/10|
Review: What’s In The PAX 3 Box?
The Pax 3 has been separated into two different options for purchase, the Pax 3 Complete Kit and the Pax 3 Device Only Kit. The changes are small, but there is a lot more versatility in the Complete Kit for connoisseurs to enjoy such as the concentrate chamber for dabs. While there is a lot of utility included in the complete kit with the different mouthpieces and chambers, it still lags a bit behind the Zeus Arc GTS Hub due to its included integrated grinder and dosing capsules combination, as well as its unique storage compartments in the Zeus Hub.
Let’s review what’s in each Pax 3 Kit:
What’s in the box?
PAX 3 Complete Kit
PAX 3 Device Only
|10 Year Warranty||✔||✔|
|Standard Oven Lid||✔||✔|
|Half-Pack Oven Lid||✔|
Review: How does the PAX 3 Work?
Although all cannabis vaporizers work mostly the same with a chamber, heating system and mouthpiece, the PAX 3 is relatively unique thanks to its giant 0.4g chamber at the bottom of the vape and clean air path. To use the PAX 3, you’ll start by removing the magnetic lid on the bottom of the vape so that you can pack finely ground herb into the oven. Using a fine grind is important because the PAX 3 chamber is conduction based and relies on more cannabis surface area for better results.
How to use the Pax 3?
- Once you’ve loaded the chamber up, you’ll want to tap the middle of the mouthpiece which will turn the unit on.
- After that, you’ll be able to cycle through up to five heating modes by holding the mouthpiece down for a few seconds until the colors change.
- After twenty seconds or so of heating, you’ll feel a vibration, and the lights will change from red to green will let you know it is ready to inhale!
- For normal use without the app, you’ll be able to toggle through the four preset temperatures by holding the power button down, tapping the power button to cycle through the four options, and then pressing and holding once again to ‘set’ the temperature
- Tap the power button to turn the vaporizer off
- To charge your device, use the provided charging dock
Preset temperature control
The PAX 3 has four preset conduction heat settings out of the box at: 360, 380, 400, and 420 degrees Fahrenheit. This means that the oven will transfer heat to your cannabis which will then slowly begin to vaporizer THC. As this vapor is released, it will travel up from the oven into the metal air path before you inhale from the rubber mouthpiece.
Pax 3’s amazing application
With the PAX 3 application, you’ll be able to pair your vaporizer with your phone to customize a lot of different settings like precision temperature control, play Simon Says, lock your vape, and much more. Although Apple removed the app from its store in late 2019, it’s still functioning on the android store or from the PAX 3 firmware website. Despite the PAX 3 being one of the oldest devices to remain competitive, the app still sets it apart even from more premiere vapes like the Mighty+.
PAX 3 App Customization: Session Modes
Within the application, there are four unique heating profiles to choose from: boost, efficiency, stealth, and flavor.
- With the boost mode, you’ll be able to have powerful sessions due to removing auto-cooling in between hits. AKA, prepare for mega-clouds! Might want to watch out for smoke alarms with this bad boy!
- The session mode will begin at a lower heating mode in Efficiency mode and gradually increase with time. This is great for cannabis connoisseurs that want to get the most out of their dry herb cannabis. For maximum efficiency, check out our Best ABV Recipes Blog for the cannabis chefs in your household.
- In stealth mode, the PAX 3 Vaporizer will stay at a lower temperature with faster cooling intervals. If your main goal is to be discreet or even get Cannabis Microdoses, this will be great for you.
- In flavor mode, the PAX 3 will only heat the chamber when you are drawing. If your main goal is relaxed, drawn-out sessions with a nice tangy flavor to your inhales, then you’ll love the flavor mode.
PAX 3 Vapor Quality Review
Just like other PAX vapes, the vapor path is entirely separate from the heating element which helps to ensure that you’ll never get a hit that’s too hot or harsh on the throat. Its mouthpiece is made from silicone, and the rest of the air path is made from stainless steel. In 2022, the vapor quality is about middle-tier compared to other devices on the market, although you won’t be blowing huge clouds with the PAX 3. Many other units out there, both cheaper and more expensive, give tastier and more significant hits. However, that’s a worthy sacrifice for the excellent user experience, large bowl, and incredible battery life on the PAX.
Pax 3 Microdosing made easy!
With the release of the half-pack chamber in the new complete kit, the PAX 3 can be better suited for lightweights or microdosing throughout the day. As the half-pack chamber shrinks the oven size down to 0.2 grams, it works much better for those who need faster vaporizing sessions. The half-pack oven lid only comes with the more expensive complete kit, but it can be picked up separately for around 13$.
Is the Pax 3 good for dabs?
Our only gripe may be that the PAX 3’s concentrate chamber does not stand the test of time compared to more modern editions like the XMAX V3 Pro Wax Cup. The concentrate chamber is a slight misfit, and the conduction heating doesn’t do the best job of vaporizing your wax unless preheated for a bit of time at maximum temperature. After every concentrate use, we highly recommend a thorough cleaning with isopropyl cleaning sticks or wipes to prevent unnecessary residue buildup in the oven.
Pax 3 raised mouthpiece
Included in the Complete Kit and Basic Kit is the raised mouthpiece. While the Pax 3 will come out of the box with the flat and recessed mouthpiece, you can easily change it out by using a fingernail or something sharp at the air hole to pop it out. Personally, I find the raised mouthpiece the much better option as it is more separated from the body of the vape and is more comfortable to use over having your lips on the metal body which might be dirty.
PAX 3 Incredible Build Quality
As the PAX 3 has been out for so long, people have had a chance to put these vapes through the wringer. It has become blatantly apparent that the PAX 3 is the AK-47 equivalent in the vape market. By that, we mean that it’s seemingly indestructible. As a testament to that, the PAX 3 came with a 10-year warranty upon its release, and many customers have had zero issues since its release with their hardware. Besides that, the PAX 3’s metal exterior and rubber mouthpiece are virtually bulletproof. There are widespread stories of vaping veterans dropping the PAX 3 onto hard surfaces from a distance, picking it up, and having zero internal or external damage. Some users have even dropped the PAX 3 into fresh water on accident and have also had no problems afterward.
Review: Is the PAX 3 Discreet?
The Pax 3 is ergonomic and feels nice when you hold it thanks to its sleek design. It uses a lightweight aluminum body, and the integrated mouthpiece cuts down on its overall size. The design of this unit isn’t boxy like some other models and instead was designed for easy pocketability and chamber loading. Some other vapes on the market today come with a ton of tiny, breakable parts, but that is certainly not the case with the PAX.
Is the PAX 3 good for use in public?
Despite being released in 2016, the design still holds up surprisingly well in the sleekness category. Nobody would bat an eyelash at you if you were to use it on a busy street in stealth mode. In a bag or purse, it resembles a battery bank, and while in hand, most people won’t pay attention to you or will just think that it’s a nicotine vape due to its small size. Although the PAX 3 may be prone to fingerprints, especially after a chamber reloading, Cleaning Wipes will get rid of this and any grime after a session with ease.
PAX 3 Vaporizer Review: Amazing Battery Life
The Pax 3 sports a strong 3500MAH battery that will last about an hour and a half of continuous vaping, and will take about the same amount of time to charge from dead. The manufacturer says that this vaporizer’s battery lasts about twice as long as that of the Pax 2 which had a good battery to begin with! To help save battery life, some of the heating will only occur during inhales. The PAX 3 achieves this with battery-conserving lip sensors, only heating up when it’s time to do so. In 2022, the Pax 3 still has some of the best battery life around! Impressive engineering, to say the least; if you need good battery life, look no further – You’ll be able to get days worth of serious vape sessions in without recharging using the provided power dock.
Pax 3 Charging Dock
One of the biggest drawbacks about the Pax 3’s battery system is the reliance on its own charging dock. The USB cable is extremely short, and does not come with an adapter. As well, if you lose it, you’re SOL getting your Pax 3 to charge. A new one will cost your around $20, and it’s just a bummer when compared to more modern and forgiving vaporizers like the XMAX V3 Pro which comes with USB-C charging, as well as a swappable 18650 battery at more than half the cost of a Pax 3 Basic Kit.
Review: Who’s the PAX 3 for?
Even in 2022, the PAX 3 remains a solid middle-range dry herb portable vaporizer choice. Beginners will want to read the manual or watch a YouTube video to make sure that they fully understand all of its key features. Once you get the hang of it, it’s straightforward to use and to this day consistently provides excellent vapor quality. The chamber, in our opinion, is still one of the best designed on the market, and the heat-up time remains acceptable.
Pax 3 ABV Extraction
As a rule of thumb, a darker AVB (Already Vaped Bud / Already Been Vaped) is a good indication that your dry herb vaporizer has done a good job of extracting the THC from your ground cannabis. Something to know about the Pax 3 is that the AVB tends to be on the lighter side regardless if you’re at a high temperature or not. This is mainly because of the large conduction oven which can sometimes struggle to get an even roast of the herbs in the middle. Unless you plan on your bowls once or twice, you’re not going to get a nice and dark vaped bud which is why we often recommend the convection-based Utillian 722 as an upgrade for better ABV.
Pax 3 Tips and Tricks
- Use the raised mouthpiece – It just feels better than using the normal recessed mouthpiece and makes accessing the airpath for cleaning easier
- Grind your dry herb finely – By using a fine grind, you increase the surface area that the conduction oven can transfer heat to, meaning bigger and easier clouds
- Use long and slow inhales – Unlike some vaporizers which work with a short sip, a relaxed and longer inhale will allow some airflow through the chamber making the session much more enjoyable
- Tamp your chamber down – By getting rid of any possible air holes in your dry herb, you’re basically ensuring that there will be no cold areas in the oven that won’t get heated properly
- Load the concentrate chamber lightly – If you place too much dab into the concentrate oven, it’s going to melt and disperse instead of getting vaporized. Don’t be left wondering where the vapor is by placing rice-sized grains only.
- Read the manual – This tip might seem odd if you’ve made it this far into the review, but you will learn so many different settings that will really help achieve the best vapor quality for yourself based on your specific vaping goals.
- Use a 420 storage keychain – A vape storage keychain is a great way to boost your vaporizer’s portability by allowing you to store up to four pre-loaded sessions on a keychain, perfect for camping or travelling needs!
Pax 3 Simon Says Mini-Game
As one of the added bonuses of the Pax 3, you’ll be able to play the Simon Says game by rotating the vape three times on its side. Once you do that, it will give you a sequence of directions to point your vaporizer in that it will recognize with the built-in accelerometer. It’s overall very fun and a nice touch, especially when you’ve already had a session or two of vaping!
Pax 3 vs. Zeus Arc GTS Hub
For its price point, there are still many things to keep it competitive with competitors – Especially if you were to buy the complete kit with concentrate abilities and microdosing with the half-pack lid. However, third-generation devices like the Zeus Arc GTS Hub are arriving and will begin to overshadow older and simpler kits. With ArcPod dosing capsules and superior vapor quality, the GTS HUB is truly a sight to behold. For a more in-depth comparison, be sure to also check out our Pax 3 vs. Zeus Arc GTS review.
Pax 3 vs Pax 2 Review
At face value, the Pax 3 and Pax 2 look and perform quite similarly. The main differences are in the tech and included accessories of the Pax 3 Complete Kit that help differentiate them from one another. In terms of Pax 3 upgrades, this means being dab compatible, a better conduction oven, added vibration technology, and as well Bluetooth connectivity and application. Apart from these upgrades and the extra accessories in the Pax 3 Complete Kit, the Pax 2 and 3 share the same lip-sensing technology, mouthpiece types, size specifications, and battery life.
PAX 3 PROS
- Speedy heat-up time
- Vapes both concentrates and herbs
- Innovative lip sensors
- Sleek and portable design
- Impressive battery life
- 10-year warranty
PAX 3 CONS
- The PAX 3 is on the pricier side compared to other dry herb portable vaporizers
- The insert for extracts doesn’t close tightly, leaving a bit of a loose opening
- Hard to get big rips or blow thick clouds
- Can be on the tricky side to keep clean
- The metal body can get quite hot after a long session
How to clean the Pax 3 Vaporizer?
The PAX 3 is significantly more straightforward to clean than the PAX 2 Vaporizer. You will have three main tasks, the bottom chamber, the mouthpiece area, and the airpath. Pop off the chamber and remove any gunk or grime with isopropyl alcohol wipes. The mouthpiece can be removed from the mouth opening. Underneath, it will be slightly shiny, meaning there is a buildup of resin. On the top of the PAX 3, you’ll see the airpath chamber once the mouthpiece is off. With the plunger cleaning tool, you can easily flush out any buildups you spot. Once a month, a thorough cleaning will help keep the PAX 3 working great, or anytime you notice airflow being reduced.
PAX 3 Vaporizer Review Conclusion
Even in today’s dry herb vaporizer market, the Pax 3 is a top seller, and for a good reason. Admittedly, it’s a little expensive but the tech and features crammed inside are nothing short of impressive. The bowl is large, the battery life is strong, and the overall design is undoubtedly excellent. If you’re after a stylish, simple, and effective dry herb vaporizer, the Pax 3 is genuinely hard to beat. If you are looking for a better option though, the Zeus Arc GTS Hub will offer you better vapor quality in a vape of a similar size, and a super integrated all-in-one kit.
What do you think about the PAX 3? Do you own it and love it? Let us know in the comment section.
We hope you enjoyed our PAX 3 review and if you’re interested you can head over to buy the Pax 3 for sale. Feel free to leave any additional comments or concerns about the PAX 3! For heavy cannabis users looking to maximize their high, be sure to also check out the Ardent Nova Decarboxylator which will let your decarb up to an ounce at a time for use with edibles. Also be sure to read our speculative thoughts about the Pax 4!
Pax 4 News
PAX recently released a statement on some exciting news coming in late 2022 and some people are expecting it to be their newest vaporizer! You can read about some of out thoughts in our Pax 4 Preview!